spring in soho.
i am so bad. haven’t written in forever. been through a hurricane, a blizzard, a new roommate, a couple of random romances, several horrible dates, and other nonsense. settling into life quite well in nyc. new friends that i love dearly. no longer need a map on a daily basis. maybe just check google maps once a week or so if i am going to a new place. that about sums it up.
I was always an unusual girl, my mother told me that I had a chameleon soul. No moral compass pointing me due north, no fixed personality. Just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide as wavering as the ocean. And if I said that I didn’t plan for it to turn out this way I’d be lying- because I was born to be the other woman. I belonged to no one- who belonged to everyone, who had nothing- who wanted everything with a fire for every experience and an obsession for freedom that terrified me to the point that I couldn’t even talk about- and pushed me to a nomadic point of madness that both dazzled and dizzied me.
no internet at home right now. as such, i’ve been so bad at updates. here’s the past week in a nutshell
- our apartment is above a gay nightclub called phoenix. i cannot even explain the bass situation. the regular old noise i can block out with earplugs and my trusty box fan. the shaking of our apartment…not so much.
- our mattresses came and they are an incredible 6 inches thick each. i didn’t even get box springs, so i just have my “mattress” on the floor. when i lay my head on the pillow it is roughly 12 inches away from the booming speakers that are mounted on the ceiling in the nightclub below. i know the speakers are mounted on the ceiling because my roommate and i went down there on an investigative mission. we have called the police twice. they don’t care.
- went to fashion night out with roommate and another ky friend. checked out some stores on 5th avenue. even the 3 story gap had a dj, mini cupcakes, and champagne. saw oscar de la renta at saks fifth avenue. dinner and drinks at some french place. got in line at manolo blahnik to see cyndi lauper concert. did not make it in. the three of us did manage to drink an entire bottle of cheap red wine out of paper cups that i had hidden in my purse.
- complete madness on friday night. started out with happy hour with roommate at bar called drop off service downstairs. then to common ground where we met two guys that i told i was 25. they thought we were amazingly hilarious. they were from long island and connecticut and it was apparent that we were from a different planet. went and got pizza and beer with the guys at a place called south brooklyn pizza.
- then off to the bourgeois pig where roommate and i had an entire bottle of rose. this was the cutest place ever:
- then ended up at gay nightclub where we were for sure the only girls and everything was very red.
- saturday was a day of recovery and piecing together the prior evening’s events. not at our best, we trekked to brooklyn for a target run.
i hate times like right now when i’m sitting in a coffee shop and i hear the first few notes of a song and memories come rushing in and suddenly i feel like someone hit me in the stomach and by the end i’m sad and angry all over again.